What causes erectile dysfunction and how to deal with this problem?
One of the most common diseases of the male urogenital system is erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction is a common disorder, which occurs in half of men older than 40, however, it may be experienced by younger men as well. What are the factors that have a negative impact on men’s health? Here you are offered to consider all types of erectile dysfunction and find out more about possible ways of ED treatment.
How to understand that you have erectile dysfunction?
The main features of ED are the following:
- difficulties in achieving or maintaining an erection;
- erection becomes weaker;
- an erection is achieved only with the support of a conscious effort;
- Morning erections become less frequent and strong;
- Premature ejaculation (sudden release of seminal fluid at the beginning of sexual intercourse or after it)
One of the factors impeding the realization of an effective treatment is the reluctance of men to see a doctor because erectile dysfunction is considered to be a problem of a personal nature. Most men prefer not share erection problems with anyone. Some men think that ED is incurable, but it is not true: in 95% of cases erectile dysfunction can be successfully treated.
Erectile dysfunction is not a disease itself, but merely a symptom of another disease, so depending on the diagnosis there are several kinds of treatment: therapeutic, using drug or psychological treatment.
Which forms of erectile dysfunction are differentiated?
Erectile dysfunction may appear:
- as a permanent inability to achieve an erection;
- as the inability to achieve an erection sufficient for penetration;
- as the inability of maintaining an erection long enough for successful intercourse completion.
Depending on the reasons, there are 3 forms of potency disorders:
- Psychogenic form: most often this type of erectile dysfunction in men is diagnosed at a young age. In this case there are no organic disorders in the structure of the genital organs and the hormonal system, there is reduced libido. Main causes: chronic fatigue, stress, depression, neurosis, including those caused by conflict between sexual partners; use of alcohol, narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
- Organic form: In a great number of cases ED is caused by problems in the neuro-psychic sphere. Most men think that erectile dysfunction is a problem that comes with age, but in fact it is true. Most diseases, which come with age are treated with medication and many drugs also have a negative effect on potency. That is why men who lead a healthy lifestyle and remain in good health for longer face ED problems much later. Causes of this disease can be divided into several groups:
- violation of the blood supply to the penis: The reason for this may be atherosclerosis, vasculitis, thrombosis, varicose veins of small pelvis, angiopathy, which developed as a complication of diabetes or hypertension.
- Reducing of the sex hormones level as a result of endocrine disorders. The main reasons: thyroid disease, dysfunction of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, obesity, congenital hypoplasia of the sex glands, medication, reduced production of testosterone, sometimes this effect is caused by the sports nutrition.
- Diseases of nervous system: multiple sclerosis, a violation of the innervation of the genitals as a result of injury or prejudice to the spinal cord hernias, tumors or displacement of vertebrae, myelitis, stroke.
- Other diseases of the reproductive system: In recent decades, the number of cases has increased due to the sexually transmitted diseases, often their effects play an important role in the occurrence of erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is more often caused by organic causes. The reasons may be psychogenic or mixed (a combination of organic and psychogenic causes).
Diseases and medications that can cause erectile dysfunction
Check out the list of diseases that often cause erectile dysfunction:
- arterial hypertension;
- hormonal dysfunctions;
- inflammatory and infectious diseases of the genitourinary system (cystitis, pyelonephritis, epididymitis, prostatitis, abscess);
- groin injury endured surgery on the organs located in the pelvis;
- spine injury;
- multiple sclerosis;
- Parkinson’s disease
Drugs that may cause or worsen erectile dysfunction:
- drugs that have effects on the heart and blood vessels (for the treatment of high blood pressure, digitalis preparations);
- psychotropic drugs (antipsychotics, antidepressants, anxiolytics);
- other drugs (e.g. finasteride for the treatment of an enlarged prostate, antiepileptic drugs)
Tips how to prevent ED symptoms effectively:
Treatment of erectile dysfunction can be quite effective if the man who faced such unpleasant problem will start to change his lifestyle. There are some tips how to do this:
- Increase physical activity.
- Proper nutrition: Do not eat fatty foods promoting the accumulation of excess weight, and as a result, leading to erectile dysfunction. The products increase potency: peanuts, pistachios, oranges, lemons, pomegranates, onions, dairy dishes, meat, fish, shellfish, shrimp, and other shellfish.
- Reduce the consumption of strong coffee and tea.
- Get rid of psychological stress.
- Monitor blood pressure, because pressure is one of causes of ED.
- Lead regular sexual life 2-3 times a week.
The role of Viagra in the treatment of ED
What to do if you have first signs of ED? There is an effective way of getting rid of ED problems using Viagra or other popular ED drugs like Cialis or Levitra, which have similar principle of action: they increase the blood flow to the penis and improve men’s natural functions. Take 1 pill before the planned sexual intercourse and forget about ED symptoms as your erection will be really powerful lasting 4 hours if you choose Viagra or even up to 36 hours using Cialis. Choose the most suitable ED drug and start your treatment when notice first symptoms of ED. It is recommended to combine use of drugs and lead a healthy life taking into account all preventive measures.