Drugs for ED treatment
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection, which is necessary for successful sexual intercourse. Problems with the onset of an erection can be triggered by medications, a variety of chronic diseases, insufficient blood flow to the penis, excessive amounts of alcohol, fatigue, psychological and neurological disorders.
Modern men are lucky to be able to get rid of ED symptoms with the help of specially designed ED drugs, which include such well-known drugs as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra and their generics. Find out more about their principle of action and deal with the problems in sexual sphere successfully.
Some facts about erectile dysfunction in men
This disease occurs in 50% of men, whose age is 30-50. However, erectile dysfunction can be experienced at any age. The weakness of erection during intimate contact is extremely negative impact on the mental state of man, which entails a further reduction in penile tension.
The most common cause of sexual dysfunction there are still neuropsychiatric features. It should be taken into account the fact that erectile dysfunction often is a consequence of the impact of several factors simultaneously.
All men at some point experience difficulties with erection. But serious concerns should take place when erectile dysfunction is permanent that is more frequently than in 50% of cases, or becomes a source of stress for both a man and his partner. In such cases it is necessary to seek professional medical advice.
What are the traditional methods of ED treatment?
After the diagnosis and determination of the nature of ED you can start an adequate treatment:
- psychogenic erectile dysfunction: in the treatment of this type of ED, which occurs most often in young people who do not have a great sexual experience, psychotherapy is required, which consists in the correction of disorders of sexual function. The task of psychotherapy is, above all, to remove the sexual tension, a feeling of fear and uncertainty before performing the sexual act. Sometimes just a few sessions of psychotherapy help a man again believe in himself, his sexuality and the possibility of making full sexual intercourse. However, you should remember that psychiatric help bring positive results only if the erectile dysfunction is a consequence of family problems, stress and depression, rather than any serious illnesses.
- In the treatment of erectile dysfunction having neurological, endocrine, and vascular (arterial, venous or arteriovenous) or traumatic origin, there is not only psychological help required but drug therapy as well.
Today, conservative methods of treatment (drug therapy and physiotherapy) are effectively used to treat erectile dysfunction symptoms in men.
How does ED drug therapy work?
Drug treatment of ED means use of drugs that stimulate erection. Such popular ED drugs are Viagra with active substance Sildenafil, Cialis with Tadalafil and Levitra based on Vardenafil. The action of these drugs occurs only in response to the natural sexual arousal. The dosage is determined on an individual basis depending on the health condition of a man.
Furthermore, the treatment of erectile dysfunction can include the penile injections of prostaglandin E1 preparation producing a vasodilatory effect: so rapidly after injection blood rushes to cavernous calves, resulting in an erection. The injections can be administered by the patient himself not more than three times a week, with the interval between injections at least one day. Excessive uncontrolled introduction of prostaglandin E1 can lead to the opposite effect – the substance will no longer be produced at all. As you can see this method is not as convenient as taking ED drugs as it is much easier to take the pill with you anywhere and wash it down with water than to make injections. Moreover, Viagra and its analogues can be used more often than three times per week.
Choosing a drug treatment for solving problems related to the potency, it is necessary to carefully study the side effects of a drug, especially for men taking anticoagulants, alpha-blockers or other antihypertensive drugs. Also increased attention should be paid in case a man has been diagnosed cardiovascular disease, heart failure, stroke, disorders associated with blood pressure, diabetes.
Comprehensive drug therapy may include the following medications, besides Viagra and other ED drugs:
- adaptogens, which include ginseng, Rhodiola rosea, Eleutherococcus, etc.,
- compounds influencing vascular tone, as well as the condition of the vascular wall as a whole (for these purposes you may use ginkgo extract, horse chestnut);
- sedatives, made on the basis of valerian or motherwort,
- amino acid preparations (e.g., glycine, glutamine).
What is the mechanism of action of ED drugs?
Viagra, Cialis and Levitra are phosphodiesterase inhibitors, which belong to the first-line drugs for the treatment of ED. The mechanism of action of all three drugs in this group are the same: they have a peripheral action, selectively inhibiting cGMP-specific PDE5, which is responsible for the breakdown of cGMP in the cavernous bodies. By blocking and stabilizing the cGMP PDE5 drugs enhance the effect of the group of nitrogen oxide that activates guanylate cyclase, which leads to increased cGMP level, relaxing the smooth muscle of the corpora cavernosa and inflow of blood to them.
There is the direct relaxant effect on smooth muscle of the corpora cavernosa of these drugs available. Numerous clinical studies have proven the efficacy and safety of PDE-5 inhibitors for the treatment of ED. These drugs differ in duration: Sildenafil Citrate and Vardenafil are up to 5 hours and Tadalafil – up to 36 hours The effect is manifested only in case there is sexual arousal. Long-term efficacy of Tadalafil can restore spontaneity and naturalness of sexual relations.
Sildenafil Citrate and Vardenafil are similar in chemical structure while Tadalafil substantially differs in structure and pharmacokinetic properties.